Importance of cattle rearing. cattle is one of the most important farm animals reared for the so many benefits derived from its (cattle) products. religiously, there is no boundaries as to certain people forbidden to eat or have anything to do with cattle and its products. so haven said this things let us take a closer look at some of the importance of cattle rearing
Importance of Cattle of rearing
1. Beef, which is a rich source of protein, is obtained from cattle, beef is the general name of cattle meat. it is widely eaten by many around the world and sometimes used for religious purposes.
2. Milk is also a major product from dairy cows. most liquid can milk or powdered types are extracted from cattle farm. milk are a good source of energy and fats for healthy living. 3. Hides and skin of cattle are used for various industrial purposes, this is particularly leather works and is one of the most importance of cattle rearing 4. the horns and hooves gotten from cattle rearing are used for making various household wares, e.g. knives, ash trays, etc. 5. Cattle production provides employment to many people directly or indirectly.
6. the rearing of cattle Provides income to the farmer through selling its meat and other products 7. The dungs of cattle serve as a good source of farm yard manure to crop growers. 8. The bones gotten from cattle supply minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, sodium when included in animals feeds.. they are extracted and taken factory where they are grinded and mixed with other forms of feeds
Some Terms Associated with Cattle Production
1. Bull: an adult male cattle
2. Cow: adult female cattle.
3. Bullock or steet or Slag: a castrated male cattle.
4. Heifer: a young female cattle which has not had a calf, usually under I2 months old.
5. Yearling: a young cattle usually between 12 to 24 months.
6. Veal: the beef of young cattle.
7. Vealers: calves reared for veal production. They are usually slaughtered when 3 months old.
8. Colostrum: a kind of milk produced by a cow three to four days alter delivery.
9. Calving: the act of deliver in cows.
10. Servicing: mating of a cow by a bull.
11. Castration: removal of the male testes.
12. Heat period: the period when the cow is ready to receive the bull for servicing. It occurs mid-way within the oestrus cycle.
13. Oestrus cycle: the time interval between one heat period and another.
14. Gestation Period: This is the period of pregnancy. In cows it last lor 281-283 days i.e. about 9 months.
15. Udder: The breast of cows.
Types of Cattle and their importance
There are different types of cattle depending on the purpose for which they are kept. These include: 1. Beef type cattle: Those kept for beef or meat production purposes, e.g. Ndama. Muturu. Keteku. etc. 2. Dairy cattle: Those kept for milk production purposes, e.g. white fulani. Buraji. etc.
3. Workcatde: These are cattle kept for work purposes. They arc used to do odd jobs in farms like
pulling of ploughs, e.g. Sokoto gudali. Kanrej. etc.
4. Dual purpose cattle: These are kept for more than one purpose. They could he kept for milk production and at the same time for beef production, e.g. Sokoto gudali.
(d) Breeds of cattle
The following are common breeds of cattle in Nigeria
(i) Humpless Cattle: Krui, Ndama, Muturu
(ii) Humped or Xebu Cattle: Red bororo. Sokoto gudali, Shuwa Cattle, white Fulani
(b) Foreign or exotic breeds: These can be grouped into two:
(i) Dairy breeds: e.g. Holstein Friesian. Brown Swiss. Red Den and New Jersey.
(ii) Beef breeds: e.g. Hereford. Aberdeen angus. Red devon. Etc.
Management Systems in Cattle rearing
Cattle can be managed under any of the following systems: (i) Extensive System: This is the traditional method of cattle production. It is commonly practiced in tropical countries of the this system, cattle are moved from one grazing land to the other depending
- on the availability of grass. Most cattle in Nigeria are reared under this system. When become scarce in the dry season, the animals are moved Is where there is denser vegetation. The animals are In graze under the control of a herdsman. don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds.
You can read some of most interesting topics below
- tools for nation building
- factors affecting the expansion of industries
- mineral resources and the mining industries