usefulness of science and biology, LIVING THINGS. Definition of science and biology Science is defined as a collective and systematic process of making inquiry about the living and non-living things around us or our environment. We as humans have always been curios about the things we see and observe within and around our environment, why they move, and feeding prowess, how they came into existence. Most especially those things that seemed to have life in them hence the study of Biology.
DEFINITION OF BIOLOGY
The word biology is a combination of Greek words, Bios and Logos. Bios meaning life and logos meaning to study.
Therefore Biology is defined as the study of life. In other words it is better known as the study of plants and animal
BRANCHES OF BIOLOGY The study of biology is one the most important part of our existence on earth. Biology has nothing to do with non-living things. Therefore it is divided into two major groups of learning. These are
- ZOOLOGY. This is the study of Animals
- BOTANY. This is the study of plants
Other areas includes
- ECOLOGY. This involves the study of how plants and animals interact with their environment.
- MORPHOLOGY. This is the study the external features of both plants and animals
- ANATOMY. This branch of biology involves the study of the internal structures of both plants and animals
- GENETICS. This is the scientific study of variation and heredity in living things or organisms.study of the chemical substances and processes that occur in plants, animals, and microorganisms and of the changes they undergo during development and life.It deals with the chemistry of life, and as such it draws on the techniques of analytical, organic, and physical chemistry, as well as those of physiologists concerned
PHYSIOLOGY. This is the study of plants and animals function in relation to their nature
Biochemistry: the study of the material substances that make up living things
Botany: the study of plants, including agriculture
Cellular biology: the study of the basic cellular units of living things
Ecology: the study of how organisms interact with their environment
Evolutionary biology: the study of the origins and changes in the diversity of life over time Genetics: the study of heredity
Molecular biology: the study of biological molecules
Physiology: the study of the functions of organisms and their parts
Zoology: the study of animals, including animal behavior
Adding to the complexity of this enormous idea of the study of biology is the fact that these fields overlap. It is impossible to study zoology without knowing a great deal about evolution, physiology and ecology.
You can’t study cellular biology without knowing biochemistry and molecular biology as well.
THE BEST METHOD OF STUDYING SCIENCE AS A SUBJECT
The very method of science involves the technical sequence of making inquiries about a thing or object under study. A good student of science has to learn to make clear, accurate and systematic accounts of every scientific investigation of discoveries.
No matter the subject of study in science, the following methods are widely practiced, they are
9. THEORY——— KNOWN ALSO AS LAW
The beginning of any scientific method is the observation process. It involves the use of natural sense to describe what one has seen or felt about an object. It is this observation that eventually leads to the Classification=like the classification of weeds and their botanical names then to Inference and later to measurement and identification of the existing problems. it is after these that the scientist can now form his Hypothesis or a comprehensive conclusion. It is here that the conclusive hypothesis is then tested with various forms of experiment.
It is very important to know in reporting an experiment, it is of utmost relevance to every laid down pattern by scientists over time.
The following are the pattern laid by great scientists over the decade of how to carry out scientific discoveries
- AIM. This is to state the purpose of the experiment
- APPARATUS. This stands for the materials that will be used in the experiment.
- METHOD. This is the description of the entire process in details through step by step.
- OBSERVATION. This is the recording of what was seen during and after the experiment has been setup
- CONCLUSION. THIS IS TI RECORD THE TOTAL OUTCOME OF THE EXPERIMENT. And this is essentially based on the final result and observation.
NOTE: IN PERFORMING EXPERIMENT, A SCIENTIST NEED TO TAKE NOTE OF THE CONTROL EXPERIMENT. In control experiment, the scientist makes sure that during the experiment, the organism or object being observed is not deprived of the main factor being investigated.
hypothesis in science
The end of the experiment is then used to show whether the hypothesis is true or not.
theories in science
It the experiment shows that the hypothesis is false, then the certainty of the whole idea for the experiments In review is then repeated all over again or best discarded.
But if the experiment shows the hypothesis to be true, the whole process is then repeated to be sure of a correct outcome.
If subsequent experiment proves the hypothesis to be true within the available evidence, it is the put forward as theory to the whole scientific world. If accepted the world over is then known as a law.
IMPORTANCE OF SCIENCE
There are so many usefulness of science in our modern world. We can see the various importance of science in the following ways,
- MEDICINE. Science has contributed greatly the manufacture of vaccines and Drugs that are used today to cure various types of diseases
- MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES. Various raw materials have been combined by science to manufacture many finished goods and products commonly used by humans.
- CONSTRUCTION. Many great architectural works of world were built and designed from scientific discoveries.
- ENGINEERING. Applicable in Ship building, skyscrapers, bridges etc.
- AGRICULTURE. New breeds of animals and varieties of crops including fertilizers have been developed over the years.
- TECHNOLOGY. The study of science led to the discovery and production of computers
- COMMUNICATION. Television, telephone, telex, etc. were developed through the help of science
- TRANSPORTATION. The manufacturing of airplanes, ships, submarines and motor vehicles were all the result of the knowledge of science
don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds. you can read some of most interesting topics below
- economic tools for nation building
- factors affecting the expansion of industries
- mineral resources and the mining industries
- demand and supply
- types of demand curve and used
- advertising industry
- factors of production
50. FORAGE GRASSES
53. TYPES OF PASTURE
COMMON GRASSES AND LEGUMES
56. ESTABLISHMENT OF PASTURES
57. 201. FORAGE PRESERVATION
58. HAY SILAGE
59. FORESTRY IMPORTANCE OF FORESTRY 206. FOREST MANAGEMENT FOREST REGULATION DEFORESTATION AFFORESTATION