uses of Barn and other storage systems., what is a barn? barn is an agricultural building usually on farms and used for storage purposes. In Africa, a barn refers to structures or building that is used majorly for storage of livestock feed,, including cattle and horses, as well as equipment and fodder, and often grain, another very important use of a barn is for the storage of yam. a typical yam barn is prepared in rows for easy access.
uses of barn for storage
A Barn is used for storing yam tubers. The method involves the tying of yam tubers with strong twine to small vertical poles, which are supported by strong horizontal poles, also tied to solid stakes. Shade is needed over the barn to prevent the tubers from excessive uses of barnuses of barn
Advantages of the barn storage method
1. the uses barn for storage is cheap to construct as forest woods and ropes can readily be obtained (especially in the high forest uses of barn
2. The yam tubers do not get rotten quickly because they are raised from the ground within inside of the barn and this enables air to circulate as uses of barn
3. It is easy to detect any tuber that is going bad due to the fact that the yams are arranged in vertical lines and in rows.
Disadvantages of the use of barn for storage purposes
1. The use of barn method is laborious to construct
2. Yam tubers are affected by weather conditions. For example tubers become dehydrated after some time due to drought as uses of barn
uses of underground pit/trenches or boxes for storage purposes
2. Boxes and Underground Pits or Trenches
These are used for storing cassava tubers. Yam tubers can also be stored for a short time in underground pits immediately after harvest.
Underground pit is most common for storing cassava tubers. Under this method, layers of palm fronds are laid at the bottom of the pit.
Then one or two layers of cassava tubers which must be harvested it bruise, are arranged on top of the fronds. Another layer of is laid and tubers arranged on top.
This procedure is followed ill tin pit is filled or the tubers to be stored are finished. The top is then covered with a layer of palm fronds and about 10 cm thick of soil.
The use of boxes has the same procedure, except that moist saw dust is used in place of palm fronds. The moist saw dust is placed round on top of the tubers and the tubers are also arranged in layer
Advantages of the uses of barn, of box, pit or trench methods of storage
1. pits storage methods can be used to store cassava tubers up to 6 weeks.
2. This method of storage is cheap and not too laborious.
3. If boxes are used, they can be transported from one place to another.
Disadvantages of pit and box method of storage
1. Cassava tubers may get rotten if not properly stored
2. It cannot keep tubers for a very long time.
Silos method of farm storage
They are made of cement, metal or aluminum and are tall, round, looking like towers.
importance of silos storage method
Silo used for Storing Dry Grains. uses of barn
Advantages of silos storage method of uses of barn
1. They protect the products from insects and rodents.
2. They can accommodate large quantities of grains.
3. Because they are alright, fumigants can be safely used to protect the grains.
4. They can test for Very long time.
Disadvantages of silos storage method
1. Silos are very expensive to construct
2. They are not movable. . .
3. Grains could mould if not dried properly.
4. Cribs storage method
Cribs storage method are also used to store maize particularly dried unshelled cobs which have been dehusked. Cribs consist of side poles covered by wiwe—mesh or lined closely with thatch or zinc.
Advantages of crib storage method
1. crib storage method is cheap and easy to use.
2. Grains are protected from rodents and birds.
3. The method can keep maize for a long time.Disadvantages of crib storage method
1. crib storage method cannot accommodate large quantities at a time
2. crib storage method does not protect the grains from insects or weevils.
5. Bags or Sacks method of storage type of barn
bags and sacks method of storage include the use of jute and hessian bags as well as polythene bags.
Advantages of the use bags and sacks method of storage
1. bags and sacks are simple and cheap to use.
2. Different sizes are available for use for different quantities of products.
3. These bags and sacks can be used for a wide variety of products.
4. They make transportation of products easy.
Disadvantages of the use of bags and sacks method of storage
. They are not solid enough to protect products from rats and insects.
2. bags and sacks require good rooms or store for safe-keeping.
read more on farm storage here
don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds.
You can read some of most interesting topics belo
Please feel free to share while using our comment box below.
Thanks for sharing
WEED AND THEIR BOTANICAL NAMES
1. ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AFFECTING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
3. 52. SOIL MICRO-ORGANISMS
4. ORGANIC MANURING
5. FARM YARD MANURE
8. CROP ROTATION
9. GRAZING AND OVER GRAZING
10. IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE
11. IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
12. ORGANIC MANURING
13. FARM YARD MANURE
16. CROP ROTATION
- IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE
19. IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
21. MILKING MACHINE
22. SIMPLE FARM TOOLS
58. HAY SILAGE
59. FORESTRY IMPORTANCE OF FORESTRY 206. FOREST MANAGEMENT FOREST REGULATION DEFORESTATION AFFORESTATION
60. DISEASES AND PESTS OF CROPS
61. MAIZE SMUT
62. RICE BLAST
63. MAIZE RUST
64. LEAF SPOT OF GROUNDNUT
65. COW-PEA MOSAIC
66. COCOA BLACK POD DISEASE
check out these recent posts
- loans for businesses
- how to establish enterprises
- what is a firm
- price equilibrium
- scale of preference
- concept of economics
- economic tools for nation building
- factors affecting the expansion of industries
- mineral resources and the mining industries
- demand and supply
- types of demand curve and used
- advertising industry
- factors of production
- joint stock company
- public enterprises
- private enterprises
- limited liability companies
- market concept
- money market
- how companies raises funds for expansion