Before delving into what is shifting cultivation and the effect of shifting cultivation, I want to first of all let you know what shifting cultivation is all about
cultivation is one of the most important areas of Agriculture as it is a type of system of cultivation practices
What is shifting cultivation?
Shifting cultivation is a system of Farming which involves the cultivation of a piece of land for one or two years after which the land is abandon or allowed to fallow for another year before coming back to farm on the same land.
Now that you’ve known what is shifting cultivation as a farming practice let us go on to look at the effect or importance of shifting cultivation
What are the effects of shifting cultivation? these effects are listed below
Effect of shifting cultivation
1. Shifting cultivation can be seen as a way of wasting valuable land for farming which is to say leaving a piece of land for a long period of time when we have Scarcity of land for farming tend to waste valuable opportunities that are found in farming practices
2. One major effect of shifting cultivation is that it destroys valuable plants and animals in the area by going into new environment to clear the bushes and destroyed ecosystem for the sake of farming
3. Shifting cultivation decreases the activities of useful microorganisms found in the soil. Shifting cultivation tends to imbalance Or Destroy the microorganisms living in the soil which is destroying the ecosystem but when it comes to agricultural activities one don’t really want to mind the microorganisms of the soil but the amount of crop that would produced within that environment is more important.
4. One major importance of shifting cultivation is about leaving a land to fallow or rest for a period of time thereby giving that land a natural feel of nutrient replenishment
5. So shifting cultivation can be a natural way to replenish the Lost nutrient of a piece of land by allowing it to rest for a period of time while farming on another piece of land.
6. Another big effect of shifting cultivation is that it is not good in a place where we’ll have communal type of farming system.
7. Shifting cultivation cannot be practiced in an environment where we have shortage of land
8. Shifting cultivation can lead to destruction of the landscape or land degradation
As much as shifting cultivation is is good and because it is fixable to practice where there is enough land one cannot overlook the other effect of shifting cultivation.
You must also bear in mind that any situation we will have land tenure system practiced it is not easy to engage in shifting cultivation as all land are pre owned by certain individual or government
Thanks for reading today.
feel free to explore some of our articles and don’t forget to share with your friends and family using our social media handle