AGRO-ALLIED OR AGRO-BASED INDUSTRIES, MEANING OF AGRO ALLIED INDUSTRIES, many times you hear from students or teachers talking about Agro-allied industries or agro products.
probably you are a student going for any examination you will likely come across questions that has to do with agro-allied industries or agro-products. pay close attention as i deal with this subject
WHAT IS THE AGRO-ALLIED INDUSTRY?
before going on to explain the term agro-allied industry, let us first take a closer look at the word agro.
what agro-allied? the term agro simply means anything that has to do with agricultural produce and products. so what then are agro-allied industries??
Agro-allied industries also called Agro-based industries are industries which depend on agriculture for their raw materials in order to operate successfully.
Agro Allied industries or Agro-based industries are industries whose primary raw materials are agricultural products. Agriculture provides vital resources and raw materials to the industrial sector
INTRODUCTION TO AGRO-ALLIED INDUSTRIES
Food is the third most essential need for human survival after oxygen and water. The first and second goals of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) are centred on poverty eradication and food security.
The Agro-allied industry is a collection of companies engaged in a high-scale production, processing, and packaging of food under the agricultural sector with the use of modern equipment and methods aimed at achieving these goals.
a typical example of the agro-allied industries is the specialized wheat production in Russia and Ukraine feeding and supplying the whole of Europe and Africa with wheat grain for the production of wheat meal and wheat flour for baking purposes.
It is also a vital integral part of any nation’s economic growth. A major objective of the macroeconomic policy is fostering economic growth thereby creating a suitable environment for agro-allied industries to thrive.
However, it is almost impossible to speak about the agro-allied industry without taking into cognizance the availability of agricultural products, its productivity, quantity and quality.
where can agro-allied industries be located?
agro-based industries can be located anywhere as long as there is access to agricultural produce. as an agriculturist,
you must understand that for any economy to grow the agro-allied industries must be at functional speed as agriculture and farming are the backbone of any nation.
Transportation cost is minimized with proper sitting of industries close to the location of raw materials. check out my post on the proper ways to site or locate an industry here
SUMMARY OF AGRO-BASED INDUSTRIES AND RAW MATERIALS USED IN EACH INDUSTRY
Agro-based Industries Raw materials used. below i am going to list some of the agricultural produce identified with certain types of agro-allied industries,
(i) Oil mill Oil seeds, there are a whole lot of cosmetic industries that produce body creams and soap. industries that produce palm oil from palm fruit, and groundnut oil from groundnut are also part of agro-industry
(vii) Paper industry uses Pulpwood
(viii) Sugar industry uses Sugar cane
(ix) Plywood/sawmill Wood is manufactured from timber
(x) Flour mill Cereal/grains
(xi) Starch Cassava, maize
(xii) Tyre Rubber latex
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AGRICULTURE AND AGRO-INDUSTRIES
There is a positive and wide range of relationships between agriculture and industries. These relationships include the following
(1) Provision of Market: Agriculture provides market for industrial products such as farm machinery, chemicals and fertilizer.
(2) Provision of Food: Agriculture also provides food for industrial workers.
(3) Provision of Raw Materials: Agriculture provides raw materials such as cocoa, cotton, palm produce and groundnut for industries.
(5) Competition for Labour: Both agriculture and industry compete for labour.
(6) Development of Industrial Sector: Rise in agricultural income due to efficient and economic factor combination brings about the development of the industrial sector of the economy.
Summary of Agro-Allied based Industries and Raw materials used in each Industry
Agro–based Industries – Raw Materials Used
(1) Oil mill – Oil seeds
(2) Soap industry – Oil seeds/oil
(3) Cigarette/tobacco – Tobacco leaves
(4) Textile/Ginnery – Cotton
(5) Breweries – Cereals
(6) Fruit canning – Fruits
(7) Paper industry – Pulpwood
(8) Sugar industry – Sugar cane
(9) Plywood/sawmill – Wood
(10) Floor mill – Cereal/grains
(11) Starch – Cassava, maize
(12) Tyre – Rubber latex
(13) Feed mill – Groundnut, maize
(14) Beverage – Cocoa, tea, coffee
Agro-Allied or Agro-Based industries
Meaning: Agro-Allied industries also called Agro-Based industries are industries which depend on agriculture for their raw materials in order to operate successfully.
In other words, agro-based industries require the supply of agricultural raw materials in order to provide some finished products that are essential for human and animal consumption.
THE CONCEPT OF OF AGRO INDUSTRIES
(7) Provision of Essential Goods: industries provide a large range of desirable goods that farmers want to buy.
(8) Provision of Agrochemicals: Industries produce agrochemicals for agricultural uses. Examples are pesticides, fertilizers, vaccines and herbicides.
(9) Provision of Storage Facilities: Industries provide storage facilities for agricultural produce, e.g. milk, fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, etc.
(10) Provision of Processing Facilities: Industries also provide processing facilities such as grinders, millers, etc for agriculture.
(11) Provision of Agricultural Tools and Machinery: Industries produce machinery and equipment for agricultural uses. Examples include tractors, ploughs, cutlasses and hoes.
food is the third most essential need for human survival after oxygen and water.
The first and second goals of the sustainable development goals (SDGs) are centred on poverty eradication and food security.
The Agro-allied industry is a collection of companies engaged in the high-scale production, processing, and packaging of food in the agricultural sector with the use of modern equipment and methods aimed at achieving these goals.
a typical example of the agro-allied industries is the specialized wheat production in Russia and Ukraine feedind and supplying the whole of Europe and Africa wheat grain for the production of wheat meal and wheat flour for baking purposes.