there are many more research institutes worldwide covering a wide range of scientific disciplines,
including medicine, technology, physics, chemistry, biology, social sciences, and more. The specific focus and areas of expertise vary depending on the institute. provision of research work
In order to improve local varieties or breeds of crops and animal breeding respectively, the government also set up numerous research institutes to provide solutions to the problems of local crops and animals with the view to increasing production.
Examples of government-established research centres are as followed
lists of research institutes and centres in Nigeria
Nigerian Institute For Oil palm Research (NIFOR), Benin
NATIONAL ROOT CROP RESEARCH INSTITUTE (NRCRI) UMUDIKE
FORESTRY RESEARCH INSTITUTE IFE NIGERIA (FRIN) IBADAN
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR OCEANOGRAPHY (NIOMAR) LAGOS
NATIONAL VETERINARY RESEARCH INSTITUTE (INVRI) VOM
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TROPICAL AGRICULTURE (IITA) IBADAN
LAKE CHAD RESEARCH INSTITUE (LCRI), MAIDUGURI
LEATHER RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF NIGERIA (LRIN), ZARIA
NIGERIAN STORED PRODUCTS RESEARCH INSTITUTE (NSPRI), ILORIN
aims and Objectives of agricultural research institutes
Agricultural research institutes are centres for the development of
1. of new farming technologies or practices
2. They have, through research, developed improved varieties of a number of crops, such as rubber, palm trees, cocoa, maize, cocoyam, rice, cassava, etc.
They have special methods of controlling pest and diseases of some animals and crops
4. They have also developed new cultural practices and farming systems for better yield
5. Agricultural research institutes have also developed effective local methods of storing food or produce
6. They have developed vaccines for preventing and controlling diseases of crops and animals
government organizations in West Africa for improving agricultural production
- Agricultural development projects (ADPs)
- River basin development authorities,
- National agricultural land development authority (NALDA)
- Agricultural development bank (ADB)
- National agricultural insurance company (NAIC
These organizations are all developed for the sole purpose of improving farm produce. You can read my article on Nigerian land use act, and land tenure system,
Under listed are some of the useful links related to this very post
You can also read my article on subsistence agriculture here.
Other relatively relevant links to this post are listed below for more study on the subject of farming.
Feel free to read and share with friends and families and don’t forget to leave a comment using our comment box, thanks for your time
Don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds.
Frequency distribution refers to the arrangement of data or information in tabular form to reflect their frequencies.