perennial crop and types of perennial plants? Perennial crops are crops which complete their life cycle or harvesting time period more than two years after planting. Perennial crops are mainly tree crops. you can check out other posts on crop classification based on uses, morphology, life cycle and planting method
So going into plantation farming, you need a very large space or hectares of land. The land allotted for planting of perennial crop are lands reserved for no other purposes. check out agricultural land here
Perennial crops are plants that live for more than two years and can be harvested repeatedly. Unlike annual crops, which need to be replanted every year, perennial crops continue to grow and produce a yield for several years without needing to be replanted. Some examples of perennial crops include fruit trees (such as apples, oranges, and peaches), berries (such as raspberries and blueberries), nuts (such as almonds and walnuts), and perennial grains (such as perennial wheat and perennial rice).
Perennial crops can offer several advantages over annual crops, including reduced soil erosion, improved soil health, and decreased need for inputs such as fertilizers and pesticides. Additionally, they can provide a more stable source of food and income for farmers since they don’t have to be replanted every year.
major characteristics of perennial crops
Perennial crop mature for harvesting after two years of planting
Anything perennial crop can be harvested for than 10 times during its life time
Most perennial crop can live beyond ten years
importance of perennial crops
The benefits or importance of perennial crop are as follows
Perennial crop serves as long term sources of income to the farmer
Crops like cocoa, orange and mango are a major source of food for families
Perennia crops are quantum source of raw materials for the industries or agro-allied industries
lists of perennial crops
The major lists of perennial crops in agricultural science are as follows
Oil palm tree
Cola nut tree
“dogonyaro tree” mostly found in Nigeria
Duca-nut tree known as “ogbono” in Nigeria
guava, bitter leaf, pawpaw and date palm
perennial crop and types of perennial plants? Perennial crops are crops which completes their life cycle or harvesting time period in more two years
- PRINCIPLES OF FARM OUTLAY
30. SUMMARY OF FARM SURVEYING
31. CROP HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
32. PESTS AND DISEASE OF MAIZE- ZEA MAYS
33. CULTIVATION OF MAIZE CROP
34. OIL PALM
35. USES OF PALM OIL
36. MAINTENANCE OF PALM PLANTATION
You can also read our post on classification of crops and their use here
Don’t forget to use out comment box should you any question or suggestion.
Thanks for reading and sharing
There are several types of organic manure that can be used to improve soil fertility and promote healthy plant growth. Here are some of the most common types:
- Animal manure: This includes manure from cows, horses, sheep, pigs, and poultry. Animal manure is rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, and can be a valuable source of nutrients for plants. However, it must be properly composted before use to reduce the risk of pathogens and weed seeds.
- Compost: Compost is a mixture of organic materials that have been decomposed by microorganisms. Compost can be made from a variety of materials, including plant debris, animal manure, and food waste. Compost is a valuable source of nutrients and organic matter for plants, and can help to improve soil structure and water retention.
- Green manure: Green manure is a cover crop that is grown specifically to be turned into the soil as a source of organic matter and nutrients. Common green manure crops include legumes, such as clover and vetch, and grasses, such as rye and oats. Green manure crops help to improve soil fertility, suppress weeds, and reduce erosion.
- Vermicompost: Vermicompost is compost that has been produced by earthworms. Earthworms help to break down organic matter and convert it into a nutrient-rich soil amendment. Vermicompost is an excellent source of plant nutrients and can help to improve soil structure and water retention.
- Seaweed: Seaweed is a rich source of micronutrients, such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Seaweed can be collected from beaches or purchased in dried form. Seaweed can be used as a soil amendment, as a foliar spray, or as a tea.
- Bone meal: Bone meal is made from ground animal bones and is a source of phosphorus and calcium. Bone meal can help to promote root growth and improve plant structure.
In conclusion, there are several types of organic manure that can be used to improve soil fertility and promote healthy plant growth. The choice of manure will depend on the specific needs of the plants and the soil, as well as the availability and cost of the different types of manure.
4 thoughts on “perennial crops and types”
Ecological requirements of perrenial crops each?
Usually I do not learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, very great post.
What is advantages of perennial crops ?
1-What are the advantages of perennial crops?
2-what are the likely diseases that can affect perennial crops?
3-The names and controls for the diseases?
You must log in to post a comment.