are animal pest of crops.what the main animal pests that attacks crops either on the farm or after storage? how do we identify crops that are animals? animal pest of crops are.animals that do harm to crops directly (for example, by infesting it or by transmitting to it the causative agents of diseases) or indirectly by causing damage to livestock, crops, trees, and so forth
An animal pest of crops is any animal or plant harmful to crop production The term is particularly used for creatures that damage crops, livestock, and forestry or cause a nuisance to people, especially in their homes. Humans have modified the environment for their own purposes and are intolerant of other creatures occupying the same space when their activities impact adversely on human objectives. Thus, an elephant is unobjectionable in its natural habitat but an animal pest of crops when it tramples crops.
These attack mainly grain crops such as maize, rice, sorghum and barley. They also attack fruits in the field. Examples of these birds are Weaver birds (Quela), parrots, etc.
(a) Nature of Damage: They peck out planted seeds, eat up grains on the field and destroy leaves of some plants such as oil palm. They also eat ripe fruits such as pawpaw, mango, and cashew.
- Use of scare crows to control animal pest of crops
- Spraying chemieals such as furadan with aircraft,
- Shooting with catapult or gun.
Figure 2.8.5: Scare Crow for birds and mammalian pest in farms.
These include rats, grass-cutters, African rabbits and hare.
- A Rodent (Grass-cutter)
(a) Nature of Damage: They cut down and eat various parts of the crop especially cereal and tuber crops. Grass-cutters eat up rice, young palm seedlings and maize plants. Rats eat up stored produce like tubers and grains. Hare eat up planted grains.
(b) Control of animal pest of crops
(i) Use of poison baits
(ii) Use of traps
(iii) By shooting with guns,
(iv) Use of rat gums.
- Other Mammalian animal pest of crops
These include monkey, deer, antelopes and bush pig.
They do a lot of damage to crops in the farm by uprooting eating them up. For example, monkey eat up plantains, banana maize and cocoa pods.
don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds.
You can read some of most interesting topics below
- STAKING OF YAM
- HARVESTING OF YAM
- FORAGE CROP AND PASTURE
- FORAGE GRASSES
- TYPES OF PASTURE
COMMON GRASSES AND LEGUMES
- ESTABLISHMENT OF PASTURES
- HAY SILAGE
- FORESTRY IMPORTANCE OF FORESTRY 206. FOREST MANAGEMENT FOREST REGULATION DEFORESTATION AFFORESTATION
- DISEASES AND PESTS OF CROPS
- MAIZE SMUT
- RICE BLAST
- MAIZE RUST
- LEAF SPOT OF GROUNDNUT
- COW-PEA MOSAIC
- COCOA BLACK POD DISEASE
check out these recent posts
- BALANCED DIETS
animal pest of crops
- RINDER PESTS
148. NEWCASTLE DISEASE
149. BACTERIA DISEASES
animal pest of crops
153. FUNGAL DISEASES
- PROTOZOAN DISEASES
Please feel free to share while using our comment box below.
Thanks for sharing
STUDY QUESTIONS ON ANIMAL PEST OF CROPS
1. How can insect pests be classified using their feeding habits?
2. (a) Name 10 insect pests you know.
(b) For each one, slate the crop it affects, the damage done to the crop and control measure of the pest.
- (a) Apart from insect pest, mime three other pests you blow.
(b) Which crops do they affect? (b) flow can they be controlled?
- Classify the following into biting and chewing, piercing and sucking, and boring insect pests:- Beetles, Aphids. stem boreres, caps ids, weevils, locusts, mealybugs, crickets, cotton stainer,
- Itemise >>>>> you would use for rodents attack on your farm.