what are permanent crop? Permanent crops are sometimes known as cash crops. These sets of crops known as permanent crop are mostly cultivated using plantation farming system. It must interest you to know that permanent crop are mostly tree crops.
factors to be considered before going into permanent crop production.
These factors are as follows
1. Before going into permanent tree production, the type of land tenure system practices in that area you want to site your farm should be considered.
2. The transportation setting of the town or area of concentration should be discussed before going into permanent crops production
- The type climate of an environment is very key to the production perennial crops. Factors like temperature, rainfall, humidity
- Type of land in an environment can play an effective role in the production of permanent crops
- Access to quality market for the sales to sell off farm produce is very key to siting a permanent crop farm
examples of permanent crops
The following are typical examples of perennial crops majorly cultivated in the farm. They are
1. Oranges/citrus. You can read more about orange planting here
2. Mango tree
3. Rubber tree. Read more about rubber planting here
6. Oil palm tree. Read more here. Oil palm cultivation
7. Cashew tree
9. Cocoa tree. Read cocoa cultivation here
10. Cola nut
11. Cotton. Read about cotton planting here
importance or uses of permanent crops
Perennial crops can be useful in the following ways
1. Permanent crop serves as source of food to the farmer
2. Perennial crops is a means of foreign exchange for countries
3. They serves as a source of income to the farmer
4. Permanent crops are cultivated for cash sales mainly
5. they are also cultivated as cash crops and for export
Permanent crop production are very expensive to venture. The use of large farm input like heavy tillage implements, tractors, harrows, planters and harvesters. Worthy of note is that without an effective market place, permanent crop production can be a failure. plantation farming is sometimes considered as a type of permanent crops but there a whole lots of differences. a plantation farmer can decide to crop his farm using annual crops like maize, millet or rice while still practicing plantation farming system. permanent tree planting should not be carried out in communities not having enough land s due to multiple land tenure systems which is more visible in places in Africa and Asia
to begin with permanent tree planting, the type of soil texture, soil profile and availability of enough land is there for the long term project because permanent tree can take years to mature
Thanks for reading. Don’t forget to use our comment box if you have any comment or suggestion. Please help to share this article
- market concept
- money market
- how companies raises funds for expansion
You must log in to post a comment.