TYPES OF AGRICULTURE
- Subsistence type of agriculture
- Commercial type of agriculture
- Plantation farming
- Arable agriculture
- Livestock Farming
- Fallow farming system of agriculture
- Communal farming
- system Shifting Cultivation.
- Shifting cultivation is commonly practiced in the tropics.
- Nomadic Herding.
- Rudimentary Sedentary Tillage.
- Livestock Ranching/Pastoral Farming. …
- Commercial Plantations.
- Mixed Farming.
- Specialized Horticulture. Subsistence Farming.
All over the world, there are basically two types of agriculture.
1. Explain the term subsistence and commercial Agriculture
2. List and differentiate the various areas of specialization in agriculture
This is the type of agriculture where the farmer produces food just enough for his family consumption. In time of good harvest the surplus is sold for extra cash. The basic idea and aim of a subsistence farmer is to be able to feed his family. Hold on are we saying that the sole reason for a farmer going into griculture can be just to get food for his immediate family? Yes you are correct if you think that way too. Remember that behind everything in life there is a motive of making money so we can’t narrow the reason for a subsistence farming system to food alone.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SUBSISTENCE AGRICULTURE
Here we are. So how do we identify who is a subsistence agricultural farmer? This question whenever it props up simply means the characteristics whereby one can recognize farmers who are into small scale farming. These characters can be seen bellow although not limited to these alone so feel free using our comment box to add yours.
As a student of agriculture you can pick the outlined features of subsistence agriculture
1. The farms are very small when dealing with such farming system due to land tenure system practices in some communities
2. Subsistence agriculture is Characterized by the use of simple farm tools such s hoes, cutlasses, axe and others for crop cultivation
3. Usually mixed cropping system of farming is the most important character of subsistence agriculture. The planting of many different types of crops on a small piece of land
4. The farm workers are usually the farmer and his immediate family because they are poor
5. most of the farmers are usually very poor and so are widely practiced in rural areas
6. They generally don’t have access to fertilizers.
7. The animals kept by the Farmer are usually kept for the family
This type of agriculture is where the farmer produces crops for the sole purpose of making money 💵
Well here we are on a broad subject which earlier discussed in one of my classes and post. The study or practice of commercial agriculture is whole lot deeper than I can cover here but not withstanding let’s move on.
We all know that anything commercial has to do with public space. So if commercial agriculture is a major type of agriculture, we then have no choice but to look into in general.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COMMERCIAL AGRICULTURE
Here I am going to try and list the various character of this system of farming as a type of agriculture. Don’t get bored but if you are please stay on a little while I treat this subject a little
1. With this type of agriculture, the large areas of lands is usually required for cultivation
2.modern farm machines and equipment are commonly used in commercial agriculture
3.it requires large sum of money to start. read about farm credits and finance here Usually involves large organizations.
Examples of such companies in Nigeria that are into commercial agriculture are as follows:
1.Temperance farms. Otta Ogun state,
2. John Holt Farms limited in Edo state,
3. Leventis farms limited Agenebode in Edo State.
Livestock farming is a type of agriculture where the farm rears various types of farm animals for commercial purposes. Livestock animals include
- Poultry birds
Normadic type of agriculture
This type of agriculture involves the movement of farmers with their herdsmen from one place to another in search of pasture land and grasses.
pastural or pastoral type of agriculture
This type of agriculture involves the growing of pastures and grasses for commercial purposes like selling them to ranch.
Ranching type of agriculture
This a system of farming or agriculture where animals are kept in a ranch or fenced farm yard. This type of agriculture requires funds and Large hectares of land
shifting cultivation type
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION IN AGRICULTURE
there are many fields of discipline in Agriculture, these are
:this is the branch of science deals with the growing of crops
:this branch Of science deals the production of fish
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION IN AGRICULTURE
soil is the natural material on which plant-crop grows. The science that deals or studies the soil is called soil science. The type and nature of soil on which crops are grown is very important to the farmer.
this is the science which deals with the study of crops and its type. For crops to do well, it is important to know their different parts and nature to ensure that the best solution is proffered to taking of them.
FORESTRY AND WILDLIFE…
this is the branch of Agriculture which deals with the training of farmers and other farming related workers.
this is the branch of Agriculture which deals with the study of diseases of farm Animals.
this is the branch of Agriculture which teaches the farmer how to properly manage and run their farm in order to get more money.
18. IRRIGATION AND DRAINAGE
19. IRRIGATION SYSTEMS
21. MILKING MACHINE
22. SIMPLE FARM TOOLS
23. AGRICULTURAL MECHANIZATION
24. THE CONCEPT OF MECHANIZATION
25. PROBLEMS OF MECHANIZATION
61. MAIZE SMUT
62. RICE BLAST
63. MAIZE RUST
64. LEAF SPOT OF GROUNDNUT
65. COW-PEA MOSAIC
66. COCOA BLACK POD DISEASE
67. <ahref=”https: www.apsnet.org=”” edcenter=”” disandpath=”” fungalbasidio=”” pdlessons=”” pages=”” coffeerust.aspx”=””>COFFEE RUST
68. CASSAVA BACTERIA BLIGHT
69. BLACK ARM BACTERIA BLIGHT OF COTTON
70. TOMATO ROOT KNOT
71. DAMPING-OFF OF TOMATO
72. ONION DOWNY MILDEW
73. STORED PRODUCE MOULD
74. PESTS OF CROPS
75. STEM BORERS
76. ARMY WORM
77. COCOA MIRIDS(CAPSIDS)
79. WHITE FLY SEED BUGS
80. CASSAVA CULTIVATION
81. CASSAVA MEALYBUGS
this is the Area of Agriculture which is concerned with how to help farmers to help themselves. Extension involves teaching rural people in their homes and farms. They are majorly government workers from the ministry of Agriculture. They are involved in teaching and guiding farmers to understanding new ways or modern techniques of plant practices for better yield.
Horticulture therefore is divided into three areas. Namely
don’t forget to use the comment box and leave a message or suggestion and we will get back to you within seconds.