what is the pituary gland?
The pituitary gland is a small pea-sized gland located just base of the mid-brain that plays a major role in regulating some important body functions and general well-being.
the pituitary gland is known as the master gland of the body system because it controls the activity of most other hormone-secreting gland.
where Can we find the pituitary gland in the body?
The pituitary gland can be found just below the base of the mid-brain
What are the hormones secreted by the pituitary gland?
The following are a list of the hormones secreted by the pituitary gland
1. Prolactin hormone
3. Antidiuretic hormones ADH
4. Somatotropin hormones
5. Tropic hormones
These are some of the hormones secreted by the pituitary gland.
There may be more of these glands depending on which country you are from and what kind of study country of origin.
There are other forms of hormones and their functions that that will not be listed in this article so feel free to reach me if you have any further question regarding types of hormones and their functions.
Functions of the pituitary gland and its secreted hormones
1. One of the functions of the pituitary gland is that the secreted prolactin hormones stimulates and control milk production through the mammary glands
2. Oxytoxine which is secreted by the pituitary gland helps to control the flow of milk in the mammary gland and contraction process
3. The antidiuretic hormone stimulates the kidney tubules to re-absorb water from the glomerular filtrate
4. the somatotropin hormone promotes the growth of bones and muscles.
5. Tropic hormones controls other endocrine glands in the body this is why the pituitary gland is referred to as master gland of the body.
Let us run a short summary of the endocrine gland known as pituitary gland.
The pituitary gland is located in the brain
The pituitary gland is known as master gland in the body
The pituitary gland secretes five types of hormones
This gland helps to secrete hormones which control other endocrine glands for proper functioning of the body system functioning of the kidney, milk production, growth hormones and muscles.
My next article will be on thyroid gland, the region where it is found, types of hormone secreted by the thyroid gland and it’s functions
Thank you for your time today feel free to reach us using our own box below