FACTORS THAT CAN AFFECT THE SIZE OF A COUNTRY’S POPULATION OR REASONS FOR HIGH POPULATION GROWTH IN WEST AFRICA
- Increase in birth r ate: In West African countries, there is increase in birth rate as it is the desire of every family to have many children.
- Decrease in death rate: There seem to be a reduction in the death rate. This generally may be due to more knowledge in modem medical services and this tends to increase population.
- Type of marriage: In West Africa, polygamous marriage is widespread. Here, a man marries between two and five wives. The number of children given birth to by these women will definitely increase the population.
- Religion: The type of religion practiced by West African countries determines to a large extent, the population of such countries. While Christianity does not support polygamy, the Islamic religion supports polygamy and this encourages rapid population.
- Improved medical services: The availability of medical services has helped to reduce the rate of death hence population is sure to increase under this condition
- Attitude towards family size: The general attitude of the people is to have a large family size. This, according to some men, is to enable them command respect and have more hands in their far activities.
- Early marriage: People in West Africa engage in early marriages and this le to having many children their increasing the size of the population.
- Illiteracy: Majority of the people are illiterates and they do not know medical way of controlling birth or family planning hence they continue to give 1 and this increases the population.
- Absence of family planning: Far planning or birth control is not practiced by many families and this eventually led to giving birth to many children, and thus high population.
- Poverty: A poor man believes in giving birth to many children. He has a strong conviction that one or more of the children will become wealthy and influential: thus changes the status of the family.
- Migration: This is another factor which has led to an increase in the population of many West African countries. The t migration (i.e. more of immigrants) is HIGH and this has resulted in high population
ROUND WORM OF PIGS
161. LIVER FLUKE
162. ECTO PARASITES
check out these recent posts