Breeds of pig, because pigs can move quickly! You will want to have that secure fencing ready to go before bringing the weanlings or feeder pigs.
No matter which of the breeds of pig or breeds you choose, infrastructure basically remains the same. Pigs require a clean shelter, plenty of fresh water, free-range pasture or grain and a place to cool off most of the time
The cooling-off place can be a kiddie pool filled with water or a shallow mud hole they dig themselves. Pigs love to wallow but they really prefer a clean environment afterwards.
Pigs are non-ruminant animals which means they don\’t chew cud and they belong to the family called sus. There are two main species of pigs – Sus scrofa domesticus and Sus vittatus.
Breeds of pig for pork meat production
not all breeds of pig are suitable for their meat production so here I have listed a few types of pig good for meat
(1) Large white
(2) Large black
(3) Duroc Jersey
(4) Poland China
(6) West African Dwarf pig
(7) Hampshire(8) American Landrace
(9) Chester White
(10) Belgium Pie Train
All the breed of pig types are grouped into three classes:
the following are the main breeds of pig
(a) Meat type
(b) Land type
(c) The Bacon type
Pigs are reared mainly for meat, pig skin, bristle and manure
Terminologies used in Pig production
Boar A mature male pig
Sow A mature female pig
Gilt A female pig that is matured to reproduce or has reproduced once
Piglet The young or baby pig
Weaners Young pigs just separated from the mother
Fatteners Old pigs reared for the market
Barrow A castrated male pig
Farrowing The act of parturition in pig
In sow Pregnant sow
Dry sow Sow that is not pregnant
Pork The meat of pig
Bacon Salted pig meat
Lard Pig meat with fat
CHARACTERISTICS OF BREEDS OF PIG
(1) Pigs are very prolific animals. At 8 – 9 months of age, a gilt is matured and can farrow twice a year, producing 8 – 10 piglets per litre.
(2) It has a short gestation period of 114 days i.e. three months, three weeks and three days.
(3) They mature very early. A piglet gets to 60 – 90kg market weight in 6 – 9 months
(4) Pigs are good converters of feed into meat.
They can easily convert industrial, agricultural and compounded feed into meat more cheaply and rapidly than most other domestic animals== Breeds of pig
(5) Pigs have an excellent dressing percentage, i.e. the proportion of flesh to bone is high
(6) Pigs require very little investment in terms of building and equipment
(7) Pigs are poly-estrous animals. This means that pigs can be bred at any time of the year
(8) The salvage value of pigs is high. That is, the price at which an old pig can be sold off is high
(9) The initial investment in getting into the enterprise is small and returns come very quickly.
Breeds of pig
consumption of Pig meat or pork meat
Consumption of pig meat, also known as pork, is prevalent in many parts of the world. Pork is the most widely consumed meat globally, accounting for approximately 36% of total meat production worldwide in 2020.
It is a versatile meat that is used in various cuisines and dishes.
The consumption of pig meat can vary significantly from country to country, as cultural, religious, and dietary preferences influence people\’s choices
Some regions, such as East Asia and parts of Europe, have traditionally high pork consumption rates, while other regions may have lower consumption due to religious or cultural reasons.
Pork is popular due to its flavour, tenderness, and wide range of culinary applications. It can be cooked in various ways, including grilling, roasting, frying, and stewing.
Popular pork products include bacon, ham, sausages, pork chops, and pork ribs.
However, it\’s worth noting that dietary preferences and trends can change over time, and individual choices may be influenced by factors such as health concerns, environmental considerations, or ethical beliefs.
Consequently, the consumption of pig meat may vary across different regions and populations.
- 16. CROP ROTATION