ADVANTAGES OF LARGE POPULATION
- Large labour: High population provides large labour force for the industries.
- Large market: High population source of large market for the goods produced by the industries.
ADVANTAGES OF LARGE POPULATION
- Defense: Organized army and other 1 enforcement agencies are easy to recruit in highly populated areas.
- Quick information dissemination Because people stay everywhere in these areas, it is very easy for information to go round quickly.
- Attraction to investors: Investors are By attracted to areas of high population because of large market for finished products.
- Urbanization: Areas of large population do lead to urbanization.
- Respect from international bodies: Countries with high population are normally respected by international bodies like W.H.O. and U.N.O.
- Attraction of foreign aids: Countries with high population do enjoy foreign aid from developed countries such as United States of America and Japan.
IMPLICATION OR DISADVANTAGES LARGE POPULATION
The economic effect of a large population or high population density include:
- Pressure on natural resources: Natural resources like fertile farmlands and minerals become over exploited where there is high population growth in an area.
- Increase in crime rate: Areas of high population density are usually associated with high crime rate like armed robbery, r snatching and hired assassination. This may be due to lack of jobs, hence, people resort to crimes.
- Insufficient food: As a result of the high influx of people into an area, there will not be sufficient food to cater for the high population which leads to food shortage.
- Unemployment/under employment: Areas of high population density usually do not have enough jobs for the ever increasing influx of people. This leads to unemployment and underemployment.
- Inadequate housing: High population concentration leads to poor accommodation as the houses available may not be enough for the high population.
- Traffic congestion: Many people travel on the roads at the same time and this leads to traffic congestion most of the time.
- Environmental pollution: Poor housing turn out of waste materials due to high level of human activities generally lead to environmental pollution.
- Pressure on social amenities: Social amenities like pipe borne water and electricity, are usually over stretched by the influx of people into an area.
- Inadequate health services: As a result of high population density, there is always inadequate health services to meet up or match the ever-increasing population.
- Reduction in standard of living: When population is increasing without the corresponding increase in natural resources, it will lead to a drop in per capital income and this will lead to poor standard of living of the people.
- High cost of living: As a result of high population density, it will result in a corresponding demand for goods and services and where these are not forthcoming in sufficient quantities, it will lead to high cost of purchasing them thereby leading to high cost of living.